Selecting a storage space can feel overwhelming so we created an easy, 5 step process to help you out.
5 steps to help you choose your ideal storage unit.
1. Make an inventory list of all the items you plan to store – By making a list of all the items you are planning on storing you are better able to figure out what size storage unit you will need. As well this list will be a good indicator of how you will pack your items into your storage unit. As well, having a list on hand will serve as a reminder of what you have stored so you don’t forget.
2. Identify items you will need to access in storage – When planning on putting your belongings into storage, try to figure out which items, if any, you will need to access on a regular basis. This way you can pack those items at the front of your storage space so they are easily accessed. Remember the rule first in last out or last in first out.
3. Storage Unit type – You will want to decide whether you would like a climate controlled unit or a regular unit. A climate controlled space is great for storing electrical items, artwork, or anything that may wear out over time. If this is not an issue then consider any other type of regular storage space. There is also the choice of conventional storage versus mobile storage. While conventional storage is great for the long term, mobile storage is great for short term and at home storage solutions. Another benefit of mobile storage, is being able to pack your belongings at YOUR home or a location of your choosing. You can then have your mobile storage delivered to your new location or back to a mobile storage facility to be stored until a later date. This simplifies things as you are able to cut out the middleman or the need to rent a moving van. Want to know more about Mobile Storage?
4. Unit size – Using your inventory list you can also best identify what size storage unit you may need. You can do this by looking at the size and number of items on your list. You can even measure your items and add a column to your inventory list to track size and dimensions of the items if you would like to get specific. Below we have provided you with a table of common sizes of storage spaces. This will help give you an idea of what size storage locker you may need based on your home size.
|Unit Size||Sq. Footage||Approx. Sizing B|
|5’x5’x10′||25 Sq. Ft.||0.5 – 1bdrm Apartment|
|5’x10’x10′||50 Sq. Ft.||1.5 bdrm House/Apartment|
|8’x10’x10′||80 Sq. Ft||2 bdrm House|
|10’x15’x10′||150 Sq. Ft.||2.5 bdrm House|
|10’x20’x10′||200 Sq. Ft.||3 – 4 bdrm House|
5. Cost and duration of rental and deals – An obvious factor to consider is what it will all cost you in the end. However, something that people often overlook, or forget to ask about — DEALS!. Oftentimes storage facilities while have specials based on being a student, senior or military. As well at certain times of the year, when things are slow, storage facilities will have deals to rally up some business.
Click Here to see what kind of deals we are currently offering at our Adams Storage facilities.
Our hope is that this tidbit of information helps you out in your search for your self-storage solutions.
Would you like to know more about what Adams Storage has to offer?
Don’t hesitate to contact us